Today it was announced that Facebook has aquired the domain name FB.com from Facebook the American Farm Bureau Federation for $8.5 million!
A domain name is an identification label that defines a realm of administrative autonomy, authority, or control in the Internet.
I am sure you can remember the beginning of Facebook. At the the time of the beginning they had the domain name TheFacebook.com. Later it transformed to Facebook.com. They paid $200,000 in August 2005 for this one.
Most people who communicate online use for Facebook only the two charcaters FB. Facebook has make use of this trend and aquired the FB.com domain name.
Facebook is a great example how the right domain name can make a business.
For you as an entrepreneur this is a great example on how and why to choose the right domain name.
Here are some easy steps how you can choose the right domain name for your business:
- Put together a list of up to 25 possible one Key-word names.
- Brainstorm as many new short words out of these names. Be creative! It’s a little bit like scabble.
- Check these new potential domain names if they are available as TOP level domain (.com).
- Now when some of them are available, check if these names are availbel in social media like Facebook, Twitter, etc…..
- Choose the shortest one which sounds great.
- When you have found one register it and signup to the social media services with your new domain name to secure them.
For example inBlurbs consists of two words!
Inbound marketing is a marketing strategy that focuses on getting found by customers. David Meerman Scott recommends that marketers “earn their way in” (via publishing helpful information on a blog etc.) in contrast to outbound marketing where they used to have to “buy, beg, or bug their way in” (via paid advertisements, issuing press releases in the hope they get picked up by the trade press, or paying commissioned sales people, respectively).
A blurb is a short summary or some words of praise accompanying a creative work.
To stay up to date, please subscribe to our RSS Feed
Tweet this on Twitter!
AWeber's email marketing software makes it easy.
Learn how they can do it for you, too.
Take A Free Test Drive Today!